Monday 14 November 2011

Cairns Birdwing Butterfly - Magic on Magnetic Island

I do hope that my stories of miraculous healings, and how they came about, plus some metaphysical meanderings as well as my daily life, will fill your days with hope, healing, creativity and the Great Mystery.
Cheers

C.M.W

Thought I would show you a couple of photos of Australia`s very own magnificent Cairns Birdwing Butterfly.
Cairns Birdwing Butterlies

When we first moved to Magnetic Island none could be found anywhere. We were walking track junkies often scaling the granite outcrops in search of new adventures.Certainly many adventures, including metaphysical, were experienced on Magnetic over the years.I would get up very early and head off up to specific outcrops where I would meditate as the sun rose, welcoming a brand new day. On the way down the tracks I would see my many friends, including rock wallabies, Death Adders, sea eagles,hawks, friar birds, drongos, sunbirds, parrots etc etc. as well as the many lizards. I would clean the walking tracks of all the rubbish tourists had left behind as I chatted, and whistled, to my feathered friends. It was my way of saying thankyou to Mother Earth.How priviledged are we to have such a magnificent country to live in!
Never once though did I notice a Birdwing butterfly.We had many other species, including the irredescent Ulysses Butterfly, butterflies in fact were everywhere along with the huge variety of birds.
After selling my house in Melbourne we decided to build a pole house In Nelly Bay and it was in this garden that much magic was created.
I only planted four of the native Dutchman`s Pipe vine and, believe it or not,this was enough to attract Cairns Birdwing butterflies all year long!  I have been relaxing, with my eyes shut whilst having a spa, when I have heard the flap, flap, flap of a butterfly joining me in the bathroom. The males are brilliant green and black whilst the females have white, yellow and black wings with a firey red splash of colour on their head area. This species are the largest butterflies in Australia. Females have a wingspan up to 20cms.
Caterpillar Stage of the Birdwing Butterfly
After the butterflies laid their eggs on the leaves the caterpillars soon began to grow and grow. The full-grown caterpillars were as long, and wide, as my thumb. Huge! The children and I were very fascinated by these very hungry caterpillars. Chomp, chomp, chomp, we could hear them eating all the leaves. Yes every one of them! The vines were reduced to little leafless stumps! The caterpillars now full to the brim somehow managed to slowly navigate their way to the underside of a nearby palm tree.
CHANGE HAPPENS
I pulled up a chair and sat down, eyes steadily watching a couple of caterpillars. I was very much wanting to see a chrysalis form, and there, right before my very eyes, it happened. Magic. Pure magic.
First of all the caterpillar somehow glued the tip of its lower back on to the underside of the leaf/frond. Then the very top of the head of the caterpillar was next glued to the underside of the leaf. Interesting. Then, very quickly, somehow two little black strings (very similar to thin black cotton) started appearing, and growing from the attachment point to both sides of the caterpillar`s head. Unbelievable. The caterpillar`s bottom stayed attached to the leaf, and now the rest of its body was levered down ( about3/4 inch ) hanging in the breeze by two little black strings!!!! At the same time the caterpillar had magically oozed a wet covering over its body. Within a couple of seconds the ooze dried in the breeze and changed into a pristine golden chrysalis. This happened right before my very eyes, yet somehow I had missed the process. The chrysalis had seemed to instantly manifest!
The caterpillar the grand magician.
It was as if someone had etched an outine of butterfly wings on each dried chrysalis. A perfect idea, a hint, of possibility of what could become.
One morning at about nine o`clock I raced out to check on the chrysalis laden leaves/fronds to see if there was any movement in the camp and low and behold there was. The tiny space between the strings that were attached to the upper sides of the chrysalis was moving. Like a little door it opened up, revealing the way out for any little brand new butterfly. It was huge though. I don`t know where it got its inspiration and will to lever and squeeze its gigantic wings, and body, through that doorway and into the new world. Not a faulty move. A perfect departure from the dark confined space into a huge light world.
After this experience I would bring the local school kids into the garden to see, and experience, the magic of creation.
Movement, beauty, miracles and changing realities.
Eyes wide, breaths were held as butterflies emerged.
Watching the pristine butterflies unravel their perfect wings and then children fascinated, waiting patiently as the butterfly also waited patiently for its wings to dry in the hot tropical sun.
Perfection without any human interference. Nature knows best.

I am always blown away by nature and its many mysteries. There are so called miracles all around us all the time yet most of us don`t have time, or the inclination, to watch and appreciate the miracle of creation.
Maybe the world would be a happier place if we took time out to listen, and to watch, creation.

Please note:    If you live in East Queensland you can plant out the NATIVE vine The Dutchman`s Pipe to help keep the species of Birdwing Butterfly alive and well. I have just planted a few in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. The species is smaller than the Cairns Birdwing, but are still very beautiful and of course eat the same vine.

Take care,
Enjoy the magic
Cheers CMW

No comments:

Post a Comment