Monday 6 June 2011

Africa - A Lesson in Fear

There is a time and place for fear. Sometimes fear is necessary to get us out of the predicament we are in and sometimes, it is just the opposite - if we react with fear we are finished!
Below is an excerpt from my book A Pocket Full of Gold where I share many true healing stories and events. This experience happened to me whilst working in a remote part of Africa.

page 122

............ Earlier that day I had made a makeshift broom out of trigs and vine ........ Now it was time to sweep the floor. I was so engrossed in trying to master the 'broom' that I had forgotton about the little shelf on the wall. My feather, holding my hair in situ, caught on something so I lifted my head to see what the feather had caught on. Exactly where my feather had caught on the shelf, was a Black Mamba, IN STRIKING POSITION, LESS THAN A FINGER-LENGTH FROM MY FOREHEAD and looking me straight in the eye! (The Black Mamba is one of the most deadliest snakes in Africa)
       His exquisite beauty saved the day. I was caught in rapturous sight. Very, oh so very quietly and gently I moved my hands up to my face, encircling his and mine. I made sure my face remained absolutely still as I stared fixedly into his beautiful eyes. Then, I started to sing!
       I sang to him of his beauty. I sang to him with love. Song flowed effortlessly and lovingly showering him inside and out. He (or she) must have thought I was mad.
       After a few minutes, when I felt I had made friends, I slowly backed away and said out load, "This is my hut. You can stay as long as you want."
        I then found a top of a bottle and poured in some water. I fearlessly walked straight up to him and placed it next to his head. "There you are. You must be thirsty".
       He had not budged an inch and was still in striking position, dazed and possibly dumbfounded. Going outside, I called........
   
The Black Mamba was full grown. I would have been dead in a minute if he had struck me. How lucky it was that I happened to be a fairly mad artist and had only seen the beauty. He shared my one-roomed hut for five days and nights.

.........I was standing in the doorway watching the dusk fade away when I felt him sliver across my bare feet, as if to say thankyou. I never did see him again.

Can you imagine where I would be now lying if I had let myself get caught up in fear?
CANCER sufferers cannot afford to get caught up in the fear.

Another time I was totally immersed in fear and it possibly saved my life!

Every evening I felt the urge to sing the land. I am one of those people who love singing. When I am happy I sing. When I am down in a hole I sing myself out of it. I also sometimes am totally filled with Spirit and am compelled to sing, to tone, to harmonize a place or situation. Our camp was in a remote part of the Selous in Tanzania. Many, many Black Rhino had been poached (98%) along with lion and other animals. So I felt the need to sing, to tone the land.
Every evening I would take my smudge stick and stand on the edge of a precipice where I would sing blessings to the land and it`s animals. I would do this for about an hour.
     One evening I was swept away into the land and the universe, singing to my hearts desire, calling the animals to come close and feel safe, when there was a sudden LOAD ROAR. Any sudden noise would have made me jump out of my skin. I didn`t look to see what it was I just got the hell out of there!
They say never,ever run from a lion. Well, I did. I think I ran faster than the speed of light straight back to my friend`s hut. Heart pumping so fast, and hard, that it felt as if it was jumping out of my body with every single beat! I cannot remember my feet touching the ground, but obviously they did, as I had cut my foot open.
    The next day the tracker showed us the footprints of the lion.

                                     Sometimes fear gets us out of a sticky situation
                                     and sometimes fear puts us into a sticky situation
                                     Knowing when to act on fear and when not to react in fear
                                     Can literally be a life-saver

Until next week
Cheers CMW

No comments:

Post a Comment